The State of the 28th Birthday…
Today I turn 28.
My office on my birthday!
For those who know me, birthdays are awesome, lovely, wonderful, and should be so much fun!.. In fact, I love birthdays so much that whenever possible I make mine and anyone around me’s birthday a week-long event!.. I mean why not?
Birthdays are the one day (or week) a year where showering love, gifts, words of encouragement, and just in general attention are acceptable because after all the chance to return the favor later is part of the fun!
Birthdays allow the chance to just in general love on the person.
Growing up, I thought 28 was SO. OLD. haha
However, today, I love that this is my age. — It feels right, and I feel as though I know exactly who I am at this stage in my life.
This morning I woke up to thunder and lightning (whoa loud) in slush covered Michigan… I choose to believe that it is God’s way of saying “Happy birthday”… And, this is the first time
in my entire life that I have no worries about snow ruining my birthday plans (thank you 58 degree forecast!)
As I look back on my 27th year, so much has changed.
28 things for my 28th birthday:
(in no particular order of importance)
- I live in a different state than last birthday.
- I have a job I love, and don’t mind allowing to consume ridiculous amounts of my time.
- I have a very large, sweet, loving (but loads of work) puppy.
- I am weeks away from being done with school!… For a least a little while.
- I have lots of plans to travel!
- I have an idea of next steps in my life, and what I want to begin working towards on a personal level.
- I have never been more sure of my friendships, near and far.
- For the first time in my life, I am content with how I look, flaws, acne, weight, and all.
- I am excited that I have worked myself down to living off of 75% of my income. — Tithing 10%, gifting 8%, and saving 7%… I have “tricked” myself into this pattern and am totally fine with that!
- This year I am excited about reading the Bible from start to finish.
- I am excited about reading 40 books this year (two down so far), and intentionally cultivating new gifts and skills.
- I love that I spend my job, personal life, and as much time as I want to focusing and loving others!.. How did I end up with this life?!
- I am excited to see where God takes me because I have no clue what to expect out of this year.
- The only debt I have is student loans (thank you $94k), but I have a plan to pay that off in the next eight years!
- I am thankful that I am more compassionate, patient, and have more grace than I did on this day a year ago.
- I love that I get to spend more of my 28th year with my family than I have any year in the last five years.
- I am so beyond thankful that turning 28 includes contentment.
- I am thankful for birthday fairies.. haha
- I know people might think it’s silly, but I cherish all the social media birthday wishes, videos, jokes, humor, and love…
- I am finally beginning to feel connection here in MI.
- I appreciate that I have several projects underway.. even if it is a slow progression.
- This year my baby brother gets married to the most amazing woman, my little sister turn sweet 16, and I get another niece!.. Not to mention several best friends are having sweet little ones too!!!
- I am happy that at 28 I have finally settled into enjoying this stage of life consistently.. Instead of only finding contentment for short periods.
- I can confidently say that my singleness feels like a good fit.
- I am a big girl now and own a for real bed (what?!), a washer and dryer, a (paid off) car, a dining room set, a living room set, and I live by myself with a spare room for God to fill however he sees fit, and that I am completely able to pay all bills…
- I am excited that at this point in my life I can honestly say I would be more than happy to give anything I own away for free.
- Despite the government declaring there are no mermaids, and saying no to building a death star, I have a feeling this is going to be a great year!
- For my 28th birthday, I am asking for those around me to pray for three things this year:
I. More Love and Grace for those around me.
II. Health (no, really).
III. For God to use this year to blow me away unlike any other before it.
So, there are the 28 things on my mind for my 28th birthday!
My decorated phone at work.